In this traditional nativity for primary age children, the Christmas story comes to life as a magical Christmas jigsaw is pieced together. Available with Words on Screen™.
An Annual Performance Licence is required to perform this title. For more information, please click here.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT
This one is PERFECT for rehearsing in small groups and joining the jigsaw parts as you go!
About The Magical Christmas Jigsaw
- Same authors as best-selling musical Mystery at Magpie Manor
- Cleverly designed script with the flexibility to rehearse scenes within individual classes or groups, which can be brought together in one or two final rehearsals
- Tailored for use with a mixture of ages if desired, including an optional scene and song if very young children are participating
At a bustling Christmas market full of the joyful sounds of carol singers and cheeky market sellers, five excited children come across a very special stallholder who gives them a tatty old Christmas jigsaw in return for the promise that they will find time to complete it on Christmas Eve. As the children gradually piece the jigsaw together with the help of a very special visitor, the Christmas story comes to life with all the traditional nativity characters.
With a fantastic array of catchy songs and an enchanting script, The Magical Christmas Jigsaw is a wonderful nativity for the primary age group. Designed to be rehearsed in individual groups during class time and pieced together for the final production, this flexible nativity is perfect for busy teachers!
Now available with a Words on Screen™ eSongbook allowing you to display song lyrics on any whiteboard, computer screen, television or interactive touchscreen. The lyrics synchronize with the music as it plays making them easy to teach and easy to learn!
An Annual Performance Licence is required to perform this nativity.
An editable script is available for this product when you purchase a package that includes an eSongbook.
View cast list (PDF 129.7KB)
Cast notes: There are 47 speaking parts in this production. Each scene has a separate cast and none of the characters from each scene appear in any other scene, so it can be rehearsed in separate class groups and brought together in just one or two final rehearsals to complete the jigsaw.
Whole school: To include a whole school there are 6 large speaking parts, 9 medium speaking parts and 32 small speaking parts. There are some unison lines for the Romans and innkeeper's relatives and lots of non-speaking parts for shoppers/carol singers/Nazarenes/star dancers/silver angel host/Herod's wives/other courtiers and (optional) hens and mice. Each scene can be rehearsed in individual class groups as there are no overlapping characters and there are between 6 and 13 speaking parts per scene and lots of non-speaking parts to involve as big a group as you'd like.
In theory you could have fewer speaking parts (or lots of non-speaking parts all played by the same kids) by doubling up and having one group play all the parts in two different scenes, but this would mean that you couldn’t make up a complete nativity tableau at the end for Scene 7. It is adaptable though for a smaller cast.
45 minutes approx
(Total length of music: 21 minutes approx)
Song 1: Roll Up, Roll Up! - includes part-singing
Song 2: The Forgotten Toys - includes a solo, a duet and a trio
Song 6: We Sing Of The Birth - can be sung as a 2, 3 or 4-part round
Song 10: Now Our Story Has Been Told - includes part-singing
Annual Performance Licence Information - What You Need To Know
- A current Annual Performance Licence is required to perform a musical or nativity to an audience (other than to pupils & staff), including an online audience, and irrespective of whether admission charges are made.
- It is more cost effective to purchase an Annual Performance Licence as part of a complete product pack.
- An Annual Performance Licence covers any number of performances of a particular musical or nativity within 12 months of the date of ordering. A separate Annual Performance Licence is required for each product title.
- To renew your Annual Peformance Licence, log into your account if you have one and go to your My Licences section.
Find out more about what your Annual Performance Licence will legally cover you to do.
All of our eSongbooks come with a Single User Licence
- This means you can install our Words on Screen™ software onto ONE computer only, or it can be streamed by a single user.
- If you would like to install this software onto your network server and/or two or more computers, or allow multiple users to stream Words on Screen™ songs, this will be covered by your Annual Performance Licence which includes extended digital rights. For more information, click here.
The following items are available for this product:
- Synopsis of the story
- Cast list by scene
- Staging and rehearsal notes
- Top tips for teaching the songs
- Music score and song lyric sheets for 10 songs (Piano music score, melody and chords)
- Licence and copyright details
- Vocal tracks sung by children
- Professional backing tracks
- Additional instrumental tracks
Words on Screen™ eSongbook
- An online Words on Screen™ product to stream or download
- Extractable MP3s, printable lyrics, scores, scripts (including editable script*) & additional resources
- Words on Screen™ versions of songs so that you can display song lyrics on any whiteboard, computer screen, television or interactive touchscreen. The lyrics synchronize with the music as it plays making them easy to teach and easy to learn
- Flexibility to create an expandable library of Words on Screen™ song collections, nativities and musicals in your Out of the Ark online account
- Enhanced operation features including ‘double-click’ to hear and teach a single line
- Words on Screen™ user guide
- Single-User licence (Please note a Performance Licence is still required to perform this musical)
- Licence & copyright details
Annual Performance Licence
An Annual Performance Licence covers any number of performances of a particular musical or nativity within 12 months of the date of ordering. A separate Annual Performance Licence is required for each product title.
- Vocal tracks sung by children
- Professional backing tracks
- Additional instrumental tracks
- Available in packs of 5, 10 or 20
Fabulous show- best yet !!!!
The most fantastic show ever! Our best ever. We did this as a key stage 2 xmas show in a two form entry school! I’d highly recommend, catchy songs, great script and the parents and children loved it.
A worthwhile Christmas play to do
The Magical Christmas Jigsaw was brilliant to stage. The songs were beautiful and it was easy to adapt. It had a good Christian message but the songs were really catchy. Really great result!
Great fun for all
Really easy to put together with great songs. We used this with Y1 and Y2 and every child was in costume in one role or another. Perfect for a Catholic school - a true Nativity with a fun and interesting twist.
Absolutely love it!
Love this nativity! The songs are great, the children really enjoyed it and so did the parents. Lots of room for creativity with the set :-)
A great play, works well with YR, Y1 & Y2
We loved the ‘The Magical Christmas Jigsaw’! After ‘Children of the World’ from Out of the Ark last year, we decided to do a new Nativity for KS1 and FS this year. The Magical Christmas Jigsaw is well organised so the parts and scenes can be rehearsed across classes before getting together. The songs are very easy to pick up – my class took them into the playground! Apart from the 5 main characters [we called them the famous five] and the stall seller/golden angel, all other children had two parts to play so lots of movement on stage. Enjoyed by parents, children and staff – a winner!
It was excellent and the play was a real success but it had no mention of costumes required which would have been very helpful. Other plays I did from this series included costumes.
Had all the elements for a great Christmas play
Our school used this last year and it was a great success. As others have said the music was easy to learn and perform, the script was engaging and had the key elements of the Christmas story. I would highly recommend this play.
A stunning presentation of the Christmas story
We used this last year 2013 for our school performance and it was a huge success. The story line included all the important events of the Biblical Christmas but weaved in an exciting, funny and entertaining storyline that kept the interest of everyone. The children loved the songs, they were catchy and fun and we were able to allocate the simpler songs to the younger classes. The piano score was simple to use and we added lots of percussion which made it sound magical! It made for a memorable Christmas production and I would highly recommend it for any School, Thank You very much!
The best loved show ever
I´ve just finished producing this nativity. The kids loved it and it left the parents open mouthed. All the songs are brilliant. Do it- you won´t regret it
Really good i am doing it as my play this year and my part is herod.
My two kids this best show yet
A proper Christmas play!
We did this last year and it was fantastic - it had all the right ingredients for a proper Christmas play, including a wide variety of songs - all catchy but some really beautiful, especially the last one. It was easy to rehearse too! More like this, please!
I am doing it for my play