Performing this musical to an audience? Or looking to film your nativity or stream your Words On Screen™ eSongbook across the school’s network? Whilst it is a legal requirement for schools to comply with copyright law, we know that teachers are busy, so we try to make the process of compliance as simple as possible.

We have covered the most common licences in the flow charts below, but if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for there, simply call our customer services team on 020 8481 7200 or email

For more detailed information view our Licence information page here.
Are you performing to A LIVE AUDIENCE?
Why is it important to have the correct licences?
Licences ensure that the writers of the songs receive royalties for the use of their songs. This pays them for their creative work and allows them to continue writing songs for schools and children to enjoy and benefit from!

It is also a legal requirement to have the correct licence in place for any licensable activity you are undertaking.
I have a CCLI Licence, doesn’t this cover me?
Your CCLI Licence covers you for the reproduction and projection of song lyrics. It does not cover you for the performance of a production. For this you require our Performance Licence, which is only available from Out of the Ark Music.
Where can I buy a Performance Licence?
You can purchase an Annual Performance Licence online on the product page for your musical or nativity, or you can purchase it on the Buy Licences page.

You can purchase the Licence either as part of a pack or separately.
I am not in the UK, do I still need a Performance Licence?
Can I create/upload recordings of my school’s Out of the Ark Music performance?
If you have a Performance Licence you may:
  • Create a recording of the song/s with children singing over the top, whether with our backing track, our vocal track or your own backing track.
  • Upload and share digital content to your school’s intranet, restricted internet or learning platform.
  • Share on public websites including the school’s website, YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Soundcloud, etc. However, Out of the Ark Music must be credited and an inbound link to must be provided. Please note that Out of the Ark Music’s original recordings may not be posted to public websites except as an accompaniment to the children singing. However, as a special dispensation, if children are not allowed to sing for health & safety reasons, original recordings may be used instead, as long as they are part of an overall recording or stream of the whole work with the spoken parts, and not just the songs on their own.