“It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.” Origin unknown
1. Calling Dr Good!I am sure we all appreciate how important health care workers are right now – in fact always have been – so why not think about being a World Health Doctor yourself?
Make yourself a World Health Doctor lanyard or badge. You can do this really simply by using a circle of card with a safety pin attached to the back. Why not design your own logo? (You could even arrange a competition for the best design with some other members of your family/some of your friends.) Don't forget to wear your badge with pride!
2. Plan-it For The Planet!Set out a ‘treatment plan’ using your ideas for making the world a healthier place. Remember to include ideas that will help our world enjoy better health both in an environmental sense and an emotional one. For example: making sure you recycle/being sure to smile a lot!
You might like to visit the following websites to get you started:
- BBC Bitesize – We’ve picked a science-themed page, but there are loads to choose from.
- Search for 'Environment' on Turtle Diary's YouTube Channel.
Closer to homeAs most of us are spending more time than usual in our homes, this is a great opportunity to do a Home Energy Audit together:
3. Make A Home Energy Audit ChecklistThere are some great ideas from Teach Starter's website for you to try. Or for younger children, use a sheet with symbols for water use, turning lights off, recycling, electrical appliances, etc. Give 0-3 ticks depending on how well you are/aren’t conserving energy! Here’s an example of an image of a lightbulb that you could use to get started:
4. Design a Colourful PosterCreate a poster to remind you not to use too much water, to turn lights off, etc.
“A cheerful heart is good medicine” Proverbs 17v22
5. Make ’Em laugh!All around the world, it is recognized that laughter is good for you, so, as part of your World Health Day, get searching for some really funny jokes or even make up new ones!
Check out Beano for lots of great jokes or try their joke generator.
“Why couldn't the teddy bear finish his dinner?
Because he was stuffed!”
Or why not watch a classic clip from TV's Mr Bean: The Hospital Visit on YouTube?
6. Make A Wish!Listen to Just Three Wishes from Aladdin Trouble and write down, draw or talk about what three wishes you might have for the world and what you can do to help them come true.
What is World Health Day?World Health Day is celebrated on April 7 every year. The World Health Organization (WHO) was founded on April 7, 1948 and every year this day is celebrated to draw attention to the subject of global health. Each year a different theme is celebrated and in 2020 it is the International year of the Nurse and the Midwife.
Click here for OUT OF THE ARK MUSIC @ HOME for lots more great songs and resources.
Written by Sue Langwade – Guest Writer for Out of the Ark Music
Keep up to date with all the latest from Out of the Ark Music by signing up to our eNewsletter and subscribing to our blog here.
USED IT? LOG IT! Most schools have a CWCL licence from Christian Copyright Licensing Limited (CCLI) - more information can be found here. This licence grants permission to display song lyrics and music from Out of the Ark Music’s Words on Screen™ Singchronize™ Player and CD ROMs, on any projection screen as well as download and share lyrics and music. Whenever you use our songs, please make note of your usage and then log your songs on your CCLI copy report, so that song writers and copyright holders are paid for their work.
Out of the Ark Music has been providing schools across the country – and world – with wonderful primary school musicals and primary school songs for nearly 30 years. Our Christmas musicals and nativity plays make children sparkle and shine, year after year, as they proudly perform their school Christmas play. Our extensive collection of fun and joyous Easter songs, harvest songs, school assembly songs, leavers songs and even space songs, fill schools with laughter and give students and teachers alike, a reason to sing every day of the week. We’re glad you’re supporting us in our dreams of creating the best music for schools around the globe. Read more about us here.